Unit 5: The World of Limitless Possibilities

0

Page 137: Reflect and Respond

I. Picture Analysis (Sheetal Devi)

1.     Observations: Sheetal Devi is taking aim with a compound bow using her foot and shoulder, demonstrating remarkable control and focus despite having no arms.

 2.     Inspiration: Yes, her determination shows that physical challenges need not prevent anyone from achieving greatness at the highest international level.

 3.     Suggested Caption: Unstoppable Focus or Aiming Beyond Limits.

 

 II. Table: What I Know / What I Want to Know

 

What I know:

What I want to know:

·         The Paralympics is an international sports competition for athletes with physical, sensory, or intellectual disabilities.

·         How are athletes categorized into different events, and what assistive technologies do they use?

 

 Page 143: Check Your Understanding

I. Fact Table (Dr. Deepa Malik)

 1.     Diagnosed with spinal tumour at the age of: 29

 2.     Result of the surgery: Paralysed waist down; bound to a wheelchair for life

 3.     Named as one of the 10 most effective para-athletes by: International Paralympic Committee

 4.     First successful Paralympic event: Shot-put event at the 2016 Rio Paralympic Games (won silver)

 5.     List of 'firsts':

       I.            First Indian female para-athlete to win an Asian Games medal in athletics

    II.            first Indian female Paralympic medallist across any sport

 

6.     Awards won:

                   I.            Khel Ratna,

                II.            Arjuna Award,

             III.            and Padma Shri

 

7.     Two things supported by her:

       I.            Empowering women through outdoor sports and adventure activities;

    II.            providing equipment and support to para-sportspersons from lower socio-economic backgrounds

 

 

II. Identifying Fact-Opinion and Cause-Effect


(1) (i) Fact,    (ii) Opinion

(2) (i) Cause,    (ii) Effect

 

 

 

Page 144: Practice Exercises

III. Work in Pairs (Fact-Opinion vs Cause-Effect)

(i) 2 (Fact-Opinion: Sentence (i) is a verifiable fact; sentence (ii) expresses a belief).

(ii) 1 (Cause-Effect: Showcasing talent directly leads to shifting global perceptions).

 

Page 145–146: Critical Reflection

I. Extract-Based Questions

Extract 1:

(i) Reason: Like a caterpillar undergoing metamorphosis to become a butterfly, she completely reshaped her life from physical restriction to endless potential.

 (ii) Comfortable Switch: She had always loved sports and was already an experienced swimmer before her paralysis.

 (iii) Breakthrough Moment: ...it was the moment she secured an historic silver medal, winning personal victory and altering public perception towards disabilities.

 (iv) Option: B. reflective

 (v) Changed Perception: The notion that wheelchair users cannot participate in high-level competitive athletics.

 

Extract 2:

(i) Option: (a) A and D (Appreciative and Optimistic)

(ii) Analogy: ability : potential :: preconceived notions : stereotypes

(iii) True or False: True

(iv) Meaning of 'helped me push boundaries': It demonstrates her ambition to constantly challenge her physical limits and societal expectations.

(v) Transformation Phrase: "given me a new lease of life"

 

Page 146: Long Answer Questions



1. Dr Malik directly challenged societal stereotypes regarding physical disability by securing historic Paralympic medals and setting global records. Her remarkable international achievements proved that physical impairment cannot restrict human potential, inspiring the public to recognise true athletic excellence and skill over physical limitations.

2. Engaging young people in disability awareness creates an inclusive foundation for society. Introducing students to empathy and accessibility early prevents biases from forming. Over time, this youth advocacy converts awareness into systemic change, ensuring future environments and attitudes accommodate everyone equally.

3. The title fits perfectly as it reflects Dr Deepa Malik’s core life philosophy. Following a life-altering surgery that caused paralysis from the waist down, she refused to accept physical restrictions. Instead, she transformed her life through sports and advocacy, creating a world without boundaries.

4. Dr Malik’s journey demonstrates that every setback offers a vital opportunity to build strength. Encountering obstacles in academics, careers, or personal lives forces us to adapt. Treating challenges as stepping stones allows individuals to uncover hidden resilience and turn adversity into meaningful growth.

5. Dr Malik’s recognition among the world’s top ten female para-athletes advances gender equality in sports. Women with disabilities often face double discrimination based on gender and capability. Her historic victories demonstrate that female para-athletes possess world-class standards, breaking two pervasive stereotypes simultaneously.

6. Focusing on ability over disability serves as a vital guide for aspiring para-athletes. Rather than dwelling on physical limitations, athletes should concentrate entirely on honing their remaining strengths. Developing discipline, mental toughness, and adaptability enables future competitors to push past perceived boundaries and excel.

7. Dr Malik’s life teaches us the value of maintaining personal agency during difficult times. In daily life, one can apply her lessons by choosing optimism over self-pity when facing hurdles. Viewing every challenge as a growth opportunity helps transform unexpected trials into success.

 

Page 147: Vocabulary and Structures in Context

I. Matching Phrases

 

Column 1

Column 2 Match

Example Sentence

1. defy the odds

(iii) succeed in doing something when most people think it would result in failure

She managed to defy the odds by winning the marathon after her injury.

2. a new lease of life

(v) an occasion when you become more energetic and active than earlier

Taking up painting gave the retired teacher a new lease of life.

3. in hindsight

(iv) ability to understand something after it has happened

In hindsight, choosing to study science was the best decision I ever made.

4. breakthrough moment

(i) develop or significant discovery

Winning the regional championship was a breakthrough moment for the young team.

5. turn obstacles into stepping stones

(ii) achieve goals, overcome challenges and succeed

Great leaders always learn to turn obstacles into stepping stones.

Page 148: Movement Word Cline & Modals

II. Word Cline (Slowest to Fastest)

Crawl  = Creep  = Plod  = Amble  = Saunter  = Stroll  = Walk  = Jog  = Run  = Dart  = Sprint

 

 III. Modal Verb Matching

 1.     I could hear the audience clapping.     (v) past ability

2.     It couldn't be helped.     (vi) impossibility

3.     I should give it my best shot.     (iv) obligation

4.     I knew if I tried, I would win.     (i) promise

 

 

Page 149: Modal Sentences & Reported Speech Basics

IV. Modal Verb Examples


Could (Possibility): It could rain later this afternoon.

Could (Unreal ability): I could fly around the world if I had wings.

Could (Request): Could you please pass the salt?

Could (Suggestion): We could try studying at the library today.

Couldn't (Inability): He couldn't solve the puzzle in time.

 

Should (Probability): The train should arrive in ten minutes.

Should (Advice): You should rest after your training.

 

Would (Request): Would you open the window, please?

Would (Past habit): When I was young, I would run every morning.

 

V. Reported Speech Options & Changes


Sentences are in Direct Speech.

Sentences are declarative.

 

Table Changes (Column 3):

Row 2 (Dr. Malik):

1.     'said' added

2.     'that' linking word added

3.     'love' =  'loved'

4.     'I' =  'she'

5.     Quotation marks removed

6.     'decided'  = 'had decided'

 

 

Row 3 (Interviewer):



1.     'said' added

2.     'that' linking word added

3.     'Your' =  'her'

4.     'is' =  'was'

 

Row 4 (Dr. Malik):

1.     'says' added (present reporting verb)

2.     'that' linking word added

 

Page 151: Dialogue to Reported Speech

Completed Passage:

1.     ...had watched a documentary on the para equestrian event on television the previous night.

2.     ...it had been very interesting to watch.

3.     ...they also had to find and develop their own style of communication with their horse.

4.     ...he would watch that documentary the following weekend.

 

 

Page 152: Listening Activity (Assembly)

1.     Venue: School Auditorium

2.     Presentation made by: Student Council

3.     Themes: Diversity and Unity

4.     Workshop / Session: Interactive workshop

5.     Celebration end: Group activity

 


Plaintext

==============================================================

==============================================================

 

 

 

 

 

 

 


Post a Comment

0Comments
Post a Comment (0)